i had the same problem with internet explorer. mozilla seems to work
properly.
i tracked the problem down and found out that internet explorer looses
the session cookie when closing the popup browser window.

then i added
     <DefaultContext cookies="false" />
to my virtualhost definition in server.xml to disable the session-cookie
mechanism.
after that everything worked fine for me.
remember to encode all urls with response.encodeURL().

jochen schwörer