Remy Maucherat wrote:

Jess Holle wrote:

Can you elaborate on "may not be very useful"?

Generally, people expect to be able to run a binary out of the box.

I concur that this is the normal expectation and that the Tomcat group should pressure the board to ease up.

If they don't I might suggest:

   * A simple Ant-based configuration tool.
         o That grabs jmx.jar from the web as part of the configuration.

I use Ant to configure Apache and Tomcat, but I must admit all components are bundled -- I don't assume a network connection over which to fetch them.

So if I drop jmx.jar from 5.0.19 into 5.0.20's bin directory, what else is missing to have Tomcat 5.0.20 be every bit as good as 5.0.19 but with more bug fixes?

Nothing. Other than the "not ready to run" effect, this should be a good release (assuming there are no regressions).

Thanks for the info.

Once I get a chance I'll check this out.

One area of immediate concern: Is jmx.jar an additional top-level jar that must be added to CLASSPATH or java command lines to run Tomcat? Or is it automatically picked up by Bootstrap, etc, as before? [This will clearly affect a number automated configurations if this has indeed changed.]

--
Jess Holle