Hi,

I got a question recently on the load on startup behavior, when associated to the 0 value. Tomcat will start those servlets last, and this was done on purpose (this dates back from TC 4.0, I think).

However, the current spec wording isn't clear at all:

<quote>
The load-on-startup element indicates that this
servlet should be loaded (instantiated and have
its init() called) on the startup of the web
application. The optional contents of these
element must be an integer indicating the order in
which the servlet should be loaded. If the value
is a negative integer, or the element is not
present, the container is free to load the servlet
whenever it chooses. If the value is a positive
integer or 0, the container must load and
initialize the servlet as the application is
deployed. The container must guarantee that
servlets marked with lower integers are loaded
before servlets marked with higher integers. The
container may choose the order of loading of
servlets with the same load-on-start-up value.
</quote>

<quote>
The load-on-startup element indicates that this servlet should be
loaded on the startup of the web application.
The optional contents of these element must be a positive integer
indicating the order in which the servlet should be loaded.
Lower integers are loaded before higher integers.
If no value is specified, or if the value specified is not a positive
integer, the container is free to load it at any time in the startup
sequence.
</quote>

Since 0 doesn't seem to be considered as a "positive integer", this would mean our behavior is ok (somehow), but I'm really not sure ;)

Rémy