Costin Manolache wrote:
Graham Leggett wrote:

Costin Manolache wrote:

Hard == replicating the configuration data to all the nodes, instead of having it in a central place ( file or a config server ). Not impossible, but it's a different problem, and not very commonly used
Ldap, nis, ldap and most other "config servers" are using the later.

The admin might choose to populate the server list on just the seed tomcat server, instead of all the tomcat servers. proxy_ajp would have to handle this situation.

Or tomcat might use the session sharing mechanism to spread the info on all the servers in the pool.

The idea is to use knowledge where we already have it - for example, if we're sharing sessions between servers, that mechanism already has the list of servers in the cluster, so we're using info we already have. We're also not expecting the admin to give us info we can work out by ourselves if it can be avoided, thus adding to the admin's workload.

I agree. When a new server is added to the pool, the admin should only have to configure the new server - and it should be able to register itself with the "seed" or master config.

+1 :-)

BTW, there are quite a few protocols related with discovery ( zeroconf, etc ), but I'm not sure people would be comfortable with this as a default.

In the ideal case, 95% of users should just be able to do this:

ProxyPass /myWebapp ajp://cluster-seed/myWebapp

And the cluster should be autodetected and handled for the admin.

Ok. ( with 2-3 comma separated seed servers ? )

Graham suggested something like this :

ProxyPass /myWebapp ajp://cluster-seed/myWebapp ajp://cluster-seed2/myWebapp ajp://cluster-seed3/myWebapp

So we're in a situation where the URI mapping is hardcoded in httpd.conf
but where the pool tomcat to handle such mapping could be updated dynamically ?