Mladen Turk wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

Mladen Turk wrote:

I was wondering if we can adopt some version naming like consisting of 4 digit groups.

I don't see any benefits, other that forcing Yoav to recompile the installer all the time ;)

Well, when rolling out any release, this still has to be done.
Whether the name of the release (or interim) build would
be 5.5-whatever, the 'ant release' has to be run.

Anyhow, IMO it would give more control over tags, naming, etc.
Take for example the current 5.0.28. After the release I've found
out that the win installer wrongly set the tmpdir (issue already
resolved in the HEAD).
Since this has nothing to do with the core itself, simply rolling out
the 5.0.28.1 would help, cause it's the same release but with the
'patchlevel 1'.

It would also offer the option to include the 'critical' updates,
without the need for a complete release, so that we could increase
the release time frame, but still keep bugfixes.

Also having some release voted as stable, will not require another
vote just to resolve some bug fix, cause no new features would be
added. Right now we are both bugfixing together with the new features
been added in the meantime (with it's own bugs :)).

Ok, if you really want it, we can switch to a a.b.c.d numbering. I still think it's useless, though.

Rémy