True, in ASF land as in other community, it's the users and
developpers base which make a solution/product successfull or
forgotten.

BTW, jk 1.2.x is allready very stable and should stay like this for now :

- JK 1.2.x is now on bug-fix only mode.

- AJP_PROXY/MOD_PROXY for Apache 2.1.x (built-in)

Should we start a new AJP/JK/whatever connector is another story which
has been debated this summer when we speak about mod_ajp.

We should first be very prudent since users may be puzzled by :

jk 1.2.x, jk 2.x, mod_webapp, ajp_proxy/mod_proxy, anewstufffwecouldimagine.

Since ajp_proxy/mod_proxy devel goes outside jakarta land, httpd-dev
and will be present only in Apache 2.1.x, may be there is a need for a
new piece of code for IIS/DOMINO/Apache1.3 or even Apache 2.x but we
should list the requested features missing in jk 1.2.x....

I suggest take a look about what was detailed in mod_ajp thread (July
2004) and see if a new consensus could appears.