This is probably not a Tomcat problem, I got the same behaviour without
Tomcat in a java application and also with a webapp in BEA. The temporary
files are created by java itself (or more precise by some font handling in
java.awt). I found this behaviour on a Windows machine independent from the
tempdir settings, i.e. if not explicitly set, some automatic detected temp
dir was chosen - depending of windows version, resp. environment variable
settings (check your TEMP, TMP settings and under XP there is some directory
under the user's directory - can't remember). BTW, your lucky with only 50
kb, depending of font these could also be also several MB. Since we had some
other problems with java.awt.font, e.g. in headless environments we wrote a
lot of wrappers for several functions, so we came around this problem a
really hard way. Some suggestions
1. okay these files are temp files, so should go away if you shutdown clean,
but from my observations this doesn't happen all the time, but setting
System.runFinalizersOnExit improved this behaviour at our first tests, but
of course this may introduce other problems.
2. our first solution was cleaning up the directory manually on startup of
application, may be you can think of a similiar solution - even on a server
application. From our observations, if you reuse the font objects there is
only one temp file per font, so after all it's not a real problem if you
gather some temp files (unless you have thousands of fonts) and clean them
up on each server start.