Jan Luehe wrote:

Hi Remy,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

remm        2004/10/04 10:39:46

Modified: jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/resources
LocalStrings.properties
jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper
EmbeddedServletOptions.java Options.java JspC.java
jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/compiler Compiler.java
webapps/docs changelog.xml jasper-howto.xml
Log:
- Allow configuring the interval following a compilation during which a JSP will not be checked for modifications.

how is this different from the 'checkInterval' option?

The check interval is in seconds, and is for the background reloading thread. This means "at most one check every X ms".

I did consider reusing it, but since the unit was different, I chose not to.

I think this new option is going to confuse users.

If we wanted to reduce the number of last-modified checks in
development mode, we should at least try to leverage the existing
option and use the same unit. The default for the new option
(4000ms) seems to imply that "seconds" may be a reasonable unit
for it as well.

Also, I think it is more intuitive if we check for last modification
date on each access in dev mode. I don't think perf improvements are
important in dev mode.

I feel strongly about this. Dev mode is the default, and is needed for some special purpose stuff (where JSPs are regenerated on the fly), so it need to perform relatively well.

IMO, the background reloading thread is way too complex and buggy. It should go in favor of a much simpler mechanism (if you really want only one thing; personally, I would keep both, as it's more flexible).

+<code>true</code> for any reason (such as dynamic generation of JSPs), setting
+this to a high value will improve performance a lot.</li>

Why won't dynamic generation of JSPs work in nondev mode? Notice that
in JspServleWrapper, we compile if

options.getDevelopment() || firstTime

It works for the first compilation, of course. But most people who use that obvious refresh their JSPs.

Overall, I think that having two attributes is appropriate.

Rémy