I agree with you about the need for a new set of variables availables to the
servlet application (specially in the case of security!), however I've read
the "Java Servlet Specification v2.4" and it looks like the client's
certificate chain should be exposed as an attribute in a mandatory way. The
correspondent text from section SRV.4.7 "SSL Attributes" follows:
"If there is an SSL certificate associated with the request, it must be
exposed by
the servlet container to the servlet programmer as an array of objects of
type
java.security.cert.X509Certificate and accessible via a ServletRequest
attribute of javax.servlet.request.X509Certificate.
The order of this array is defined as being in ascending order of trust. The
first
certificate in the chain is the one set by the client, the next is the one
used to
authenticate the first, and so on."

So I still can't figure out why my app can't get them.