I've been pondering something similar. (I just never got around to vocalizing it) My preference is to introduce common/usr_lib (and server/usr_lib)(This name is horrible, but you get the idea)

The usr_lib dirs would be in the same classloader as common/lib (or server/lib) and would contain user specific jars. This way users would not have to add/change jar files in common/lib when upgrades occur.

-Tim

Benson Margulies wrote:
Based on all the recent traffic from people tying themselves into
pretzels with global resources, I have two concrete ideas. I would try
to concoct patches (at least for the first) if there was tentative
acceptance for either.
1) Configure the 'common' classpath in an editable location. By default,
this path would be the current set of common directories. However, an
admin could add additional directories shaped like common.