No, this "breaks the spec". There are many other simple alternatives. Please follow up to the tomcat-user list for more information.

-Tim

Svante Olofsson wrote:

Hi!

First off, I think Tomcat is a great product. Thanks!

Secondly, do you have any plans on adding something like to web.xml:

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>My Webapp</web-resource-name>
        <url-pattern>cust1.html</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <ip-constraint>
      <allow>192.168.1.13-192.168.1.55,192.168.10.</allow>
    <ip-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>My Webapp</web-resource-name>
        <url-pattern>cust2.html</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <ip-constraint>
      <deny>192.168.</deny>
    <ip-constraint>
</security-constraint>

I have looked at the documentation and web, but could not find any other
information than a commercial package from Cafesoft. I think this kind of
access control would be very useful since webapps can have static pages that
should be denied for everyone but a certain ip-range. Example: Customer 1
has access to a service with a certain look-and-feel and some customer
specific mods. The name of the page that Customer 1 uses to access the
webapp is cust1.html and that passes on some parameters. Customer 2 uses the
same webapp but has a different look-and-feel and accesses the SAME webapp
through cust2.html. Now it would be nice to limit access to cust1.html and
cust2.html so that only the respective customer ip-ranges could access them.
I can do this by installing apache and hooking up Tomcat to it, but I would
like to use a standalone solution. The Valve functionality is good but it is
only on webapp level.