NormW wrote:

Look at: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/config/workers.html (Section: Defining Workers)

The lines in question:

    JkWorkerProperty worker.list=worker1,worker2

# Worker1

    JkWorkerProperty worker.worker1.type=ajp13
    JkWorkerProperty worker.worker1.host=localhost
    JkWorkerProperty worker.worker1.port=9009

At the present time there are two workers [ajp13] defined but all URL's are aimed at worker1. If there is a bug in these then the parsing is not picking it up...

Yes, that's true, cause the worker will not be created.

Q. If the JkWorkersFile Directive is not used, is the module creating a default worker, or looking for a workers.properties file on its own initiative?

No. There is no such thing as default worker. The workers.properties file is read only when declared with JkWorkersFile.

I would hope to see Mod_Jk fail at start if a Jk URL directive is encountered when no workers have been defined. That's why my first .conf JK directives are to create the workers.

Url mappings are not attached to the worker. Actually url mapping (if positive one made) just picks up the worker name. Then the worker is found that must be listed in the 'worker.list' directive. If there is none, then the messages like you posted will emerge in the log file.

I agree with you, that we have a problem with mod_jk not showing
any error message in the config phase (when server is started).
Like said before it'll have to wait until the next release.

Regards,
Mladen