Jason is correct, the attributions remain. I'll send along the last set of guidelines I saw regarding attribution and licensing.

        Brian

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Jason Hunter wrote:
I think it would be rude to remove the comments about where the source files originated, as they were developed apart from Apache and have a life on their own apart from Apache. Attribution is fair and proper. However I did grant permission for Sun (and of course Apache) to license the code under the Apache license.

-jh-

Remy Maucherat wrote:

Hi,

There are apparently a few licensing issues with some files in the Tomcat CVS:

 > > jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28-src/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src
 > > /share/org/apache/catalina/util/CharsetMapper.java
 > >    18:  * This class is based on a class originally written
 > by Jason
 > > Hunter
 > >    19:  * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> as part of the book "Java Servlet
 > > Programming"
 > >    20:  * (O'Reilly).  See http://www.servlets.com/book for more
 > > information.
 > >    21:  * Used by Sun Microsystems with permission.
 > >    22:  */
 > >    23:
 > >    24: package org.apache.catalina.util;
 > >

 > jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28-src/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/admi
 > n/images/Context.gif
 >
 > >     4: ?ycga???wHIL!?OCopyright 2000 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. All
 > > Rights Reserved.
 > >     5: JLF GR Ver 1.0
 >

 > > jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28-src/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/webapps/admi
 > > n/images/Host.gif
 > >     2: !?OCopyright 2000 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights
 > > Reserved.
 >

 > > jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28-src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/util/java/
 > > org/apache/tomcat/util/http/LocaleToCharsetMap.java
 > >    19:  * This class was originally written by Jason Hunter
 > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > >    20:  * as part of the book "Java Servlet Programming"
 > (O'Reilly).
 > >    21:  * See http://www.servlets.com/book for more information.
 > >    22:  * Used by Sun Microsystems with permission.

Fixing the GIFs should be easy. How about the two Java files ? I would need an answer from Jason and Craig to see if I can safely remove the comments (otherwise we would have to reimplement these, right ?).

Thanks,
Rémy