Well, numbers are statistics do speak for themself - but may tell different things. Apache may have most projects in SVN, but the world has most projects in cvs. And most tools (finally) have some good, first class built-in support for CVS, most people are (finally) familiar enough with using cvs. There are some plugins for svn ( and other version control tools ) - but not at the same level.

I like SVN a lot - and for a new project probably I would choose it if there is a choice - sf.net or other places are cvs only. But I don't think all the pain for switching tomcat is justified, and switching few repositories but not others is even worse.

Unless we're going to do major reorganization of the code ( move directories around ) or we start some complex branches, or we have any other need where SVN is much better than CVS - I would say it's better for everyone to stick with the stable environment.

Costin

Henri Yandell wrote:
I've not heard anything about it being mandatory yet, but the numbers
speak for themselves.

The www.apache.org site has 24 coding projects. There are 22 projects
listed on the svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi page. 2 of those are dead, so
20 out of 24 ASF projects have an svn presence of some kind.

The people still left with readable CVS modules are:

mod_perl
ant
2/3rds of jakarta
possibly gump (though they have an svn module too)
apache conference
most of xml
logging
half of web services

So I assume at some point there'll be pressure to turn off the CVS server.

On the command line, svn is pretty much the same as cvs. Some bits are
faster, some slower. There are various improved features
(http://subversion.tigris.org/ lists them) that people have been
asking for for ages with CVS.

Habit-wise, the only differences I've hit are:

1) you checkout from a url, not from a cvs-root and a path.
2) tagging/branching is done by copying a directory revision (really
creating a symlink-style thing in the database) and isn't applied to
every file individually.

Tool-wise, Subclipse is an Eclipse plugin that seems to work fine for
standard development (checkout, update, diff, commit). I'm unsure
whether you can create tags/branches using it as I always do that on
the command line, be it cvs or svn. IntelliJ has a plugin and the next
version will have it built in. TortoiseSvn is spoken well of, and I
can vouch for svn on linux/OS X, I've had no problems in the last year
of use.

Docs are docs :) Yep, they'll need updating.

Build scripts. Do you have scripts that check modules out of cvs? If
so I imagine the ant support for svn might be a big deal. Unsure what
it's like.

Hen

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:32:41 -0800, Costin Manolache