Hi,
Tomcat is not a full J2EE container, "only" a Servlet and JSP container.
Accordingly, J2EE spec releases don't matter per-se.  They only matter if
they contain new Servlet or JSP spec releases in them.

Tomcat 6 will implement the next version of the JSP and Servlet specs,
whenever those come out.

Yoav