Mark,

Thanks for replying.

First an update.
Couldn't get this to work with cygwin.
  It would build, but the .exe created would fail on Service Install.

Did get it to work with cmd.exe (this is with the original
build.properties.default.  The nsis installer gets downloaded into
\usr\share\java\nsis2.0.  You have to move the makensis.exe somewhere,
then install nsis into \usr\share\java\nsis2.0)

ant release (is the proper target and gets all the dependencies right).

ant build dist
ant build installer
looks like it works, but it's misleading, it doesn't really build the
.exe.  The property execute-installer isn't set, so the installer target
doesn't really run.  (It says "Build Successful", but the target hasn't
really run.)  There is nothing in the release\...\bin directory

The modification that should be made to the
jakarta-tomcat-5\build.xml is:

- <target name="installer"
+ <target name="installer" depends="dist,prepare-release"

Perhaps

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/building.html

should be modified to state that the "ant release" target is what people
want to get everything built.

Cheers, Gary
Gary Orser
Montana State University
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience
Center for Computational Biology
1 Lewis Hall, Bozeman MT, 59717