I was thinking of using HttpClient. Configuration - I am somewhat undecided. I like urlrewrite. Its also a BSD licence - so if we use their rules as a starting point - are we legally OK? (I think the answer is yes)

-Tim

Peter Rossbach wrote:

Hey Tim,

Have you see this fine mod_rewrite filter at http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/.
What you mean, can we use the common httpclient for backend proxy implementation?
   It has a stable pooling with keepalive handling and http/https support.

Peter

Tim Funk schrieb:

Here is more detail of what I was pondering with the reverse proxy.

Topic - Extend the balancer webapp to allow for reverse proxy

Description
-------------
Write a 2.4 compliant Servlet Filter which will allow tomcat (or any other compliant engine) to act as a reverse proxy.

Constraints
-----------
- Use no tomcat internal specific api's
- Allow for other filters to wrap this so caching would be allowed
- Allow for pluggable proxy rules much like the balancer is implemented

Rules to create
- simple match rule which is one-to-one mapping back to a single server based on a URL prefix

Nice to haves
- Use a pool of connections to take advantage of keep-alive capabilitites
- A partner caching filter which can cache to memory/disk/???
- A partner filter which can provide rudimentary content rewriting for hosts which return an incorrect hostname - cluster rule - So tomcat fronts a cluster of servers for the following scenarios 1) round robin 2) random 3) sticky

Remy Maucherat wrote:

I think there should be proposals, like this one which seems good, then have a vote on all these.

Please be quick for the proposals as there's a deadline, apparently, so I'd say this needs to be wrapped up and the wiki edited by the end of next week.