I have a server which is being used only for XML servlets.  I would like
to send back error responses either as an XML error or, in the case of
a non-200 status code just to send back the status code and a single
line text message.

I set the status (which seems to work) and the text, which again
seems to be sent back on the response header, but I also get a
bunch of HTML text which gets in the way of processing the
error text which I want to do using XmlHttpRequest.

I have not included any ErrorPage tags in my web.xml nor are there
any in the global web.xml.

I am running Tomcat 5.5

Thanks in advance

David