I got Cocoon 1.8 working with Tomcat 3.2 b6.  I even have it working
through the Apache mod_jk connector.

Really, I just followed the standard install procedure on Cocoon's site and
set followed the standard setup for any basic servlet context.  I had to
make a cocoon context.  Not sure if there is a way to just have cocoon
there and allow any arbitrary context to be able to run cocoon powered pages.

Jake