Hi,

Maybe this is a file permissions or paths problem...

Check what user tomcat runs as when started from inittab.
Is this the same user you use when you "log in to linux" to
start tomcat? If not, does this user have access permissions
to the WEB-INF/classes directory, the web.xml file, etc?

What about the environment variables like TOMCAT_HOME?
Are they set correctly when tomcat is started from inittab?

Regards,

Simon