I have some additional useful info about our problem below.
We ran the same test as below except we eliminated Apache and mod_jk totally
from the equation by using port 8080 in the URL to connect directly with
Tomcat.
And after a few hours Tomcat stopped responding with no errors in the logs.
The Tomcat processes still stayed around.
Any help on this would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Jim Blum