John

Thanks for that, will look into further and let you know.

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: John Ellis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 17 November 2000 17:44
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: System properties

According to the dtd:
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd
There is an "env-entry" tag that has name-value pairs like you mentioned.
The
version of tomcat that I am using (3.1) did not seem to being doing anything
with this entry.  It does seem like it would be the perfect place for
exactly
what you are talking about.

Does anyone know what this entry is (the dtd description did not
specifically
say how to get these values back -- I am assuming System.getProperties())?
Does
anyone know if more current version of tomcat support it?  Will future
versions?

John

Stuart Farnan wrote:

> OK marvellous,
>
> I get all that, TOMCAT_OPTS is not my first choice if it is just basically
> the command line.  On the subject of using a startup servlet to do the
work
> of reading the info and passing it on to the utility classes that need it,
> this is an option, but would mean writing a servlet for to do this, and
> also, anywhere else I use the utility classes, they would need to be
> 'initialised' in the same way by some other class in the other
application.
> This would of course have to happen before the class is used, and I had
> thought that is should be possible to encapsulate all the details of the
> connection pooling in one place, including the actions of reading the
system
> properties file.  Yeah, all the stuff is in process, no separate database
> access server.
>
> >From the looks of things, it is just the way it is, although I was hoping
> the there would be some way to put stuff in the web.xml file, maybe in the
> servlet tag like:
>
> <system-property>
>         <name>myproperty</name>
>         <value>42</value>
> </system-property>
>
> Anyone think this is a good idea, or am I talking rubbish?
>
> Stu
>
> PS. static, bad?  It is useful! Singletons (you mentioned), cleanly
handling
> exceptions in constructors, general things you want to share between
> instances, object caches, etc.

TOMCAT_OPTS="db.properties=/home/stuart/db.properties:myproperty=anotherpro