Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 11:28 AM
Subject: Tomcat 3.2 SSL error:Error reading request

Hi,

I'm currently stuck with my SSL enabling of tomcat 3.2 with a weird error message.
As soon as I try to access SSL secured content, the following error occurs:

2000-12-15 05:23:51 - ContextManager: Error reading request R( /) 400
2000-12-15 05:23:51 - Ctx(  ): 400 R( /) null
2000-12-15 05:23:51 - Ctx(  ): Handler null null
2000-12-15 05:23:51 - Ctx(  ): IOException in: R( /) Socket closed
2000-12-15 05:10:57 - Ctx(  ): IOException in: R( /) Socket closed

After a while, the following exception is thrown:

        at java.io.IOException.<init>(IOException.java:49)
        at javax.net.ssl.SSLException.<init>([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:192)
        at javax.servlet.ServletInputStream.readLine(ServletInputStream.java:138)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpRequestAdapter.readNextRequest(HttpR
equestAdapter.java:129)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(
HttpConnectionHandler.java:195)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:41
6)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:4
98)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)

I've compiled tomcat 3.2 with SSL support (SSLSocketFactory was compiled successfully)
as described in the Tomcal-SSL-Howto document.

ALso, I've changed my jdk-1.3 (IBM) jre java.security file as described.

I had a problem adding my CERT to the keystore, where keytool always complained that the
public keys are different between the stored and given key.
I worked that around by deleting the keystore and let keytool create it during the CERT import.
That worked.

I will now try it again with the SUN JDK 1.3, maybe the IBM jdk doesn't work.

Has anyone an idea what the problem is? Is this caused by a keystore problem reading my CERT
or is there any hint you can give me?

Thanks in advance!

Robert