On 12/30/2000 at 11:14 AM S Joseph wrote:
> My classpath is correctly set up to include d:\tomcat\classes and all
the jar files in tomcat\lib directory ie; ant.jar,
jasper.jar,jaxp.jar,parser.jar,servlet.jar and webserver.jar

Tomcat uses its own classloaders, and doesn't need much there to
actually run. It may be something is being loaded twice
(webserver.jar?), and this is causing the exception. Try trimming your
classpath down to ".;d:\tomcat\classes;" and see if that gets you past
the exception.

(Later, if you need to do development on the same machine, look at
using Ant to compile your projects, since it can manage the classpath
dependancies for you.)

>Can anyone tell me what all that %2 %3 etc means. Are they the command
line parameters??

Yes, in order of appearance.

>I guess this class file should be  in one of the jar files in lib
directory

Yes. The tomcat classes are in the webserver.jar. If you want to peek,
you can drag a JAR file into WinZIP, or any other ZIP program, to see
what's inside.

Also, be sure that you are starting out with the latest 3.2.x release
of Tomcat.

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/