Hi,

As has been stated many times in this email group,
tomcat 3.2 does *not* read the file
$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml any more.

I bet you defined your welcome-file there - you should
define the welcome-file entry in WEB-INF/web.xml
instead.

Note that the WEB-INF/web.xml file has always been
the *right* place for this definition (though using either
file would have worked in the past). It makes more sense
to define the welcome-file entries at a webapp-specific
level rather than at a tomcat-wide level, as separate
webapps are likely to want different settings.

The tomcat 3.2 developers made a minor error (in my
opinion) by forgetting to take the old no-longer-used
global web.xml file out of the latest releases.

Tomcat developers - can you get rid of the global
web.xml file from the distribution, to avoid this confusion???
Or rename it to something else (like web.builtin.xml ;-)

Cheers,

Simon