David Weinrich wrote:

> Earl:
>
> I had the same issue a few days back, try setting the CATALINA_HOME env.
> variable to the appropriate directory ( if it isn't already set ). That
> seems to have solved it for me.
>
> Good luck!
> David

You also need to make sure that your web.xml file has the appropriate DOCTYPE at
the top:

    <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC
     "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"

in order to invoke the validating parser.  Tomcat registers the local copy of
the DTD (based on the public identifier), so it will not go across the Internet
to get the DTD every time it starts.

Craig