> server's I've seen offer some sort of "deployment tool" that
> lets you perform
> customizations like this as you deploy an application.

Off the top of my head, it seems that the right way to do it
would be to specify a properties extension mechanism with
more expressiveness than the simple <context-param> elements
in the current web.xml.

Right now, a good deployment tool could look into the war
file and pull out the web.xml, inspect it for <context-param>
elements and create a property sheet to set up those values.
However, those properties would only be simple string
name-value pairs, because there is no way to specify anything
like constraints or non-string types.

Hmm, perhaps the <resource-ref> element could be pressed into
service.  Basically if you had a tag that pointed to a Bean class
you could define custom property editors for manipulating
the properties of that class.