I think the most likely cause is that it is your SQL
statement that is throwing an exception when you
try to insert non-ascii characters into a text column
in the database.

Java text is all based on UNICODE, so it is unlikely
that tomcat has any problems at all with special
characters.

So the point for *you* to check is whether your
SQL is being run, and if so whether it is throwing
an exception.

If you can confirm that your SQL is not being
run at all (ie that the problem *is* somewhere in
tomcat) then I suggest you post again.