Pete,

A really easy way to get SSL going with Apache on Windows is to install
OpenSA:
http://www.opensa.org/
 It is one installation that is already set up with fake certificates.
Once it is installed, detailed instructions for creating your own cert
or getting a signed one from a trused CA (like verisign) are at the
modssl site in their FAQ:
http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.6/ssl_faq.html#ToC27

As for the other thing, I am getting that message too.  I have not yet
had any problems, but I would be interested to hear about a solution.

thanks,

John