The point is that there can only be two
possible causes for a "segmentation violation":
* the jvm has a bug,or
* JNI is being used, and is calling buggy native code libraries

There are no alternative reasons! By definition,
java **cannot** cause segmentation violations,
no matter how buggy or badly written. Ok, there are
certain code constructs that could trigger the jvm
crash, and programs that don't use those features
are therefore not going to encounter the crash, but
it is almost impossible to deduce, from a jvm crash,
what java code caused the problem.

I think that trying to randomly modify a java program
that causes a jvm to crash in order to find some
variant which does *not* cause the jvm to crash is
really not the best way of solving the problem...
far better to move to another jvm.

I suggest that if a JVM crash happens for one person,
then every other person using the same JVM version
from the same vendor on the same platform should be
very worried; there is no guaruntee at all that it won't
happen to other programs....

Having said that, I happen to be using Sun's jvm 1.2.2_04
on solaris, and haven't seen any segmentation violations.
If I ever do get one, I will be upgrading to 1.3, rather than
trying to tweak my code, I can promise you!

Cheers,

Simon