I am experienced in PHP, have indeed found it to be extremely stable and
low-cost to put up and maintain even complex and abstracted sites (session
tracking, affiliate tracking...very modular code) but am using Tomcat for
projects that span both server and client sides to be able to reuse code on
both sides. If I should find Tomcat to be lacking in stability/community
acceptance I would at that time move the software to a for-fee server
(e.g., Websphere which licensing starts at 35K I hear) but only at that
later stage. If you are just doing 1 web site then do PHP. If you are
building software for sale, then use Java and start with Tomcat to save
money until you need to spend it later.
Just my personal opinion.
Lisa

                    <richard@jour

                    nyx.com>             To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                         cc:

                    01/24/01             Subject:     Tomcat stability

                    11:49 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    tomcat-user

howdy,

I've been on several threads and followed discussions on the stability of
Tomcat.  Is Tomcat a good idea for a critical, high-volume,
public-accessible web-app?  We've been designing our pages in jsp, although
they're not up yet, changing from regular html pages.

I've been contemplating using PHP instead because of it's stability, and it
really does what we need to accomplish.  But I wanted to use JSP for Java's
strength and perhaps future uses that a vast language could provide.

thanks for your input in advance.

Cheers,
Richard