>I am not using the default RedHat installation, but a "local" one;
and I
        >am loading the conf file "by hand"; besides, the
        >/usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_jk.so does exist. Do you mean that
it's
        >trying to load it from some other place?

        Yes, that's what I mean.
        In your httpd.conf is a line where you specify the ServerRoot.
        In the org. RH httpd.conf it looks like this:
                ServerRoot /etc/httpd

        Apache searchs for the modules in a directory called "modules" (or
libexec) as a subdirectory of ServerRoot.
        If your ServerRoot is /usr/local/apache then it's OK, but in that
case: You have a problem.....