Hello,

I have configured with OpenSSL (to Tomcat directly), made a key, etc. Now
I can have a secure connections to my server, but browsers complains that
my
certificate isn't good, not signed, not knows, etc. Seems that browsers
have to problems with Verisign or RSA (?) certificates, which cost
600-1000 dollars
per each one. I'm don't have those kind of money to spend. So, how do I
get my certificate, so the browser wouldn't ask to install it, or
approval from the user.

Thank you,
John.

On 2/5/01, 4:59:46 AM, "Coetmeur, Alain"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding RE: SSL Help:

> browse the archive those recent days/weeks

> the secret are:

> it is advised to use apache with openssl (mod_ssl or apache+ssl)
> as the SSL processor and just configure it
> to delegate servlet and JSP to tomcat...
> look at http://www.modssl.org/
> or http://www.apache-ssl.org/
> for explanations, install doc, binaries, advices...

> anyway you can make tomcat able to serve SSL directly.
> install JSSE from SUN as documented
> (detail in some of my former messages here)
> this include putting the.jar in a lib or lib/ext directory
> as explaine, and twickle some security.properties

> create private key in the java keystore, produce a
> certificate (externaly or auto-certifies) with
CN=the.dns.name.of.my.tomcat
> and add the certificate to the java keystore...

> modify the server.xml as explained
> in come comments... (I've send here a working server.xml)

> add some options in TOMCAT_OPTS (in tomcat.bat) so that URL Factory
> supports SSL, and JSSE can find the truststore...
> set TOMCAT_OPTS=%TOMCAT_OPTS%
>       -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore="%TOMCAT_HOME%/../openssl/maui/cacerts"
>       -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol

> may the force be with you.
> you can do it!
> this can work, I've tested !

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential or other privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this
communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or
otherwise use the information.  Also, please indicate to the sender that you have
received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.  Any communication
that does not relate to official Columbia business is that of the sender and is
neither given nor endorsed by Columbia.  Thank you.