See responses mixed in below

-----Original Message-----
From: Rezaul H. Safiuddin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 11:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Another Newbie Question -- Urgent Please!

Now I have a really stupid question ;-) ...

Ok When I run the apache server it shows the following :

F:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache>apache
[Wed Feb 07 20:41:46 2001] [alert] apache: Could not determine the
server's full
y qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
Apache/1.3.14 (Win32) tomcat/1.0 running...

QUESTION :
Why does it say TomCat 1.0..I have TomCat 3.2  ?

I believe that 1.0 is the HTTP protocol version that the server is using.
Tomcat only supports HTTP 1.0.  Tomcat 4 will support 1.1.  I don't believe
that there is a draft for version 1.2 yet.  Apache supports 1.1.

Next, How can I be sure that my requests are being served via the Apache
and TomCat and not only  stand alone TomCat ?

I mean when I do this following request..it lets me fill out the form and
responds properly... :

http://127.0.0.1/servlet/PhoneBook

But How do I know whether it actually goes through Apache to Tomcat or
just Tomcat ? Cause I need to use Tomcat with Apache, not standalone for
my purpose.

In your server.xml file, check for your ports on PoolTcpConnectors.  By
default these are 8080 and 8007 - the ports that Tomcat will listen to.  In
your Apache configuration file there will be a like like "Listen 80" by
default (I'm really fuzzy on this, its been a long time since I configured
Apache).  This is the port that Apache will listen on.  Good so far?  Tomcat
8080 and 8007.  Apache 80.  Now you need to know that the default HTTP port
is 80.  So, if you don't specify a port in the URL you're talking to port
80.  (To use port 8080 it would be http://127.0.0.1:8080/servlet/PhoneBook)

Next Question :
I did not mess with the web.xml or server.xml at all to change any config
in the TomCat...When do I need to do that ? Is that application specific ?

        As to what to chagne it really depends upon what you want to do.  If
you want to use Tomcat behind Apache you probably want to remove the
PoolTcpConnector for port 8080 (make the users go through Apache).  You also
probably want to remove some of the extra contexts that Tomcat installed by
default (examples for example).

        Lastly, you will want to create a context for your application,
which means creating a new directory, adding a WEB-INF directory, and adding
a web.xml file and your content.

        As to when, if you have everything working like it seems you do,
you're ready to develop your application.