So I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Macromedia UltraDev.  Have people
used this and had bad experiences?

We've used it some and we've also built extensions that add support for more
J2EE-based development.  Info on the extensions can be found at
http://www.unifyewave.com. Sorry to say that, for now, development time
requires use of our web app server (Unify eWave Engine for which you can use
the Trial Edition), but developed applications should deploy to Tomcat and
of course eWave Engine.

Dave