I've heard of hidden frames, but never seen them.  (that's not a pun).

could the hidden frame contain HTML that has a metarefresh of say 1
minute.  The HTML is generated by a JSP. This JSP would track if there
was a change. If there wasn't a change, just output a blank body with
the meta refresh.

If there *was* a change though, output a page that has some javascript
onLoad stuff that will pop open a new window that contains ....

* a static message that something changed
* custom message that 'XYZ' changed.  The popup page would then be
driven by a JSP