The error you are getting has nothing to do with Tomcat.
Your error has to do with the fact that xerces needs JDK in order to install.

You dont need xerces before you install tomcat anyways.
Just grab the tomcat RPM and install it, or better yet; get the binary from here:
http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-4/binaries/

However; tomcat will need the JDK also, so you need to install the JDK first anyways.

Also the current JDK is 1.4.  You can get it from here:
http://java.sun.com/downloads/

Hope this helps.

Rick

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm trying to install xerces so I can install TOMCAT but I keep getting this
message although my path is set

bash-2.05b# rpm -ivh xerces-j-1.3.0-1.noarch.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        jdk >= 1.2 is needed by xerces-j-1.3.0-1

Bobbie Atristain
Internet Systems Administrator
Media General, INC.
804.649.6156