I have always wondered how serious load balancing was done :)
Is this technique documented anywhere?
I would love to read up on it.

Thanks

Angus Mezick wrote:
Ahh, the is the beauty of the cookie!  All my servers respond to
www.guidestar.org.  I start a session, save that session id in the
cookie, save the sessionid and data to the DB table that all the servers
share.  The next request goes to a different server but it can still see
the id in the cookie.  That id is used to get the session data out of
the table for use and then put the data back in.  As long as the DB can
handle the load I can add servers.  I am not worried about the network
handling the load because the only other way of doing this that I know
of is to use Filip Hank's In Memory Session Replication at
http://www.filip.net/tomcat/tomcat-javagroups.html which uses IP
multicast.  I didn't want all my servers to get load every time one
server got a hit.  If the DB gets overloaded I can always split my
servers into 2 groups and use apache session affinity to split the work
between them.  Which leads to my next email :) Do the worker names in
worker2.properties and the jvmroute in server.xml have any relation?

--Angus