At a minimum, you will need one HOST for each virtual host, and for each virtual host you will need one CONTEXT (web application which may or may not be ROOT).

HOST:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html

"The Host element represents a virtual host, which is an association of a network name for a server (such as "www.mycompany.com" with the particular server on which Catalina is running. In order to be effective, this name must be registered in the Domain Name Service (DNS) server that manages the Internet domain you belong to - contact your Network Administrator for more information."

CONTEXT:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html

"The Context element represents a web application, which is run within a particular virtual host. Each web application is based on a Web Application Archive (WAR) file, or a corresponding directory containing the corresponding unpacked contents, as described in the Servlet Specification (version 2.2 or later)."

And the Application Developer's Guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

Most likely, you will have no reason to use CATALINA_BASE at all.

John

Mukesh Adwani wrote:

Dear Sir,
I am using Tomcat and trying to create a virtual host for my web application, in addition of the default virtual host. But during the process of creating virtual host using "Administor Web Server". I have used all the documentation of Tomcat. I have also tried to use CATALINA_BASE, but as my concepts are not clear of how to use it, I am unable to configure my web application. So, please guide me of how to configure my application using Tomcat.
regards
Mukesh

Mukesh Adwani