So I looked at the servlet spec, but it doesn't specify (as far as I read)
how hierarchical security constraints should work and Tomcat 4.1.27 seems to
not do hiarachical constraints :)  Also searching the list I didn't turn up
results of this type, although I swear I've seen this issue before...

I want to secure "/*" with a standard role and then "/stuff1" with another
role and "/stuff2" with yet another role.

So I put in the web.xml:

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>General Secured content root</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
      <http-method>GET</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>standard</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>General Secured content root</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/stuff1</url-pattern>
      <http-method>GET</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>usertype1</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>General Secured content root</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/stuff2</url-pattern>
      <http-method>GET</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>usertype2</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>

But the second two seem to be overriden by the first.  (A link on a WebLogic
site shows the above to work, but I don't have WebLogic)

Is this known behavior or did I miss something?