A complete html parser seems a bit over the top if you can ensure the html is validated before it goes into the database.
If the html is validated you can perform a search and replace on known cases, however I had the same problem and encodeURL only worked on url's that could be resolved within your own context (?!).

A javascript call for example which ends by calling document.location.href = args[0] (which you might call through javascript:myFunction('myurl')) is a nasty problem to get right I think. I solved my problem by including a cookie check ;-)). Not the solution you are looking for I think, but it is a solution.

greetz
Hans