Howdy,
I believe he was referring to external access to tomcat's JNDI provider,
which is tricky.  In-memory is easy and you're right a JDBC resource can
be configured (just like any other JNDI resource).

Of course, if tomcat's JNDI provider moves into its own jakarta-commons
component as we've been discussing, I bet you'd have standalone JNDI very
soon ;)

Yoav Shapira