1. I access jsp as
http://localhost:8080/mycode/hello.jsp?firstname=viswa&lastname=rao

2. I have jsp code in my application c:\webdev\hello.jsp.
In my server.xml file I have the context definition
<Context path="/mycode" docBase="c:\webdev" debug="0" reloadable="true"
> </Context>

3. hello.jsp code is as follows:

<title>Untitled Document</title>
<%! String firstname = request.getParameter("firstname");
String lastname = request.getParameter("lastname"); %>
Welcome <%=firstname + " " + lastname%>

4. The errors generated are:

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file
    [javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
    [javac]
C:\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24\work\Standalone\localhost\mycode\hello_
jsp.java:10: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : variable request
    [javac] location: class org.apache.jsp.hello_jsp
    [javac]  String firstname = request.getParameter("firstname");
    [javac]                     ^
    [javac]
C:\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24\work\Standalone\localhost\mycode\hello_
jsp.java:11: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : variable request
    [javac] location: class org.apache.jsp.hello_jsp
    [javac] String lastname = request.getParameter("lastname");
    [javac]                   ^
    [javac] 2 errors