See below:

If you can assume an even distribution of the session and the
session duration it should be evened out. (It's dependend on the
distribution and the quality of the loadbalancer)

> 3. How will it scale when adding non-even nos. of Tomcats to Apaches?

The number of nodes should not play a role.

> 4. How to represent this in mathematical terms?

To express that you have to know the algorithm that is used by the
loadbalancer and the distribution of the sessions.

BTW:

mod_jk should be configured to make no balancing. It just should do
the routing. So a1 should route all request with no session info to
t1 and a2 to t2. (Set the lbfactor to 0 for the second worker).

Note: This recommendation is based on reading rather than on really
trying it, havn't used the loadbalaning feature of mod_jk by now.