It looks like you want your form action to actually be servlet/login, or
maybe /onjava/servlet/login  (you can use
<%=request.getContextPath()%>/servlet/login in the jsp if you don't want
to hardcode your context name).
You have set up the mapping of /servlet/login in your web.xml, not
/servlet/com.onjava.login  That name is only known internally since it
does not have its own servlet-mapping.

Jeff Tulley  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
(801)861-5322
Novell, Inc., The Leading Provider of Net Business Solutions
http://www.novell.com

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 8/28/03 2:36:33 PM >>>
It is difficult to get my first servlet working. I got HTTP Status 404
-
/onjava/servlet/com.onjava.login error.  Maybe something I did not get
it right.
Here are the things I have.

Tomcat 4.1.27

In conf/server.xml, I added the following line.
      <Context className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
crossContext="true" reloadable="true"
mapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextMapper"
useNaming="true"
debug="0" swallowOutput="false" privileged="false" displayName="On Java
Example"
wrapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper"
docBase="onjava"
cookies="true" path="/onjava" cachingAllowed="true"
charsetMapperClass="org.apache.catalina.util.CharsetMapper">
        </Context>

In conf/web.xml, I uncomment the invoker mapping, i.e.
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

The I have login.jsp and welcome.jsp file under webapps/onjava
directory.
In login.jsp, I have the following code
     <form name="loginForm" method="post"
action="servlet/com.onjava.login">
     </form>

I have login.java file with package statement on top.
package com.onjava;
I compiled the code and move the login.class file into
webapps/onjava/Web-inf/classes/com/onjava directory.

In webapps/Web-inf/web.xml file,  I have the following line of code.
  <!DOCTYPE web-app (View Source for full doctype...)>
- <web-app>
- <servlet>
  <servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>com.onjava.login</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
- <servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>login</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/servlet/login</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  </web-app>

I am able to get login.jsp by using
http://localhost:8080/onjava/login.jsp. But
when I submit it I got the HTTP status 404 -
/onjava/servlet/com.onjava.login
error.

Anything I did wrong?

Jim