Whenever I try to run the configure command , I get the following error.  I
am loading gcc so I can compile the TomCat connector source.  (Sorry, I know
the issue below is not directly Tomcat related)

sudo ./configure
Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
Created "Makefile" in /opt/gcc/gcc-3.3.1 using "mh-frag"
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.