I have just installed the new version 5 beta 5.0.9.  I have been unable to start any v5.0.x version on my system.  The following messages are produced when I run catalina to show the output.  Note that it will not start as a service, or as a startup.bat command.

One odd thing, after the installation process, it complains that the Tomcat 5.0 directory does not have a \lib directory.  I create this by hand, and it runs, but then crashes with the following messages.  Any suggestions as to what is wrong with my configuration?  It appears to be having problems starting the logging facility.

Thanks, Neil

 Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\bin>catalina run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0
Using CATALINA_HOME:   D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\te
mp
Using JAVA_HOME:       D:\JBuilder8\jdk1.4
Aug 29, 2003 4:03:13 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
Aug 29, 2003 4:03:13 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 9063 ms
Exception during startup processing
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:190)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener.lifecycleEvent(NamingC
ontextListener.java:276)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycl
eSupport.java:166)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:230
4)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:578)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:214)
        ... 5 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.comm
ons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurati
onException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implemen
t Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactory
Impl.java:532)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactory
Impl.java:272)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactory
Impl.java:246)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:395)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.<clinit>(NamingContext.java:102)
        ... 10 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.comm
ons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk
14Logger does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogF
actoryImpl.java:416)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactory
Impl.java:525)
        ... 14 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apach
e.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogF
actoryImpl.java:412)
        ... 15 more

D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\bin>

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!