From: Dave Wood [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 11:12 PM
To: Tomcat Email List
Subject: SSL/Verisign Confusion

I'm having a problem getting an SSL certificate from Verisign working
correctly.  I'm going to include everything I can think of that MIGHT be a
problem.  Unfortunately, there are a couple things I can't quite remember
for certain.  Here's the situation:

1. I generated the initial key using an alias other than "tomcat" (we'll
call it "company")
2. I generated the CSR and sent it to verisign.  I still have this file.
3. Verisign changed the company name during the verification process (from
an acronym to the full spelling of the name)
4. I now have the certificate that they sent back after the validation
process.
5. One thing I can't account for is why when I see this:

$ keytool -list

Keystore type: jks
Keystore provider: SUN

Your keystore contains 4 entries: (...others removed...)

company, Fri Aug 22 08:47:04 MDT 2003, trustedCertEntry,
Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00 (the numbers aren't really
0's)

...I think I must have self-signed or something (I was doing a couple of
these things and don't recall exactly), but I'm surprised to see
"trustedCertEntry" here.

The problem I'm having is this:

$ keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias company -file public.crt
Enter keystore password: xxx
keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate not imported, alias
<company> already exists

(but I'm thinking it should be REPLACING this entry, so the fact that it
exists shouldn't be a problem???)

So, I have several questions:

1. Am I hosed completely because I didn't use "tomcat" as the alias?
2. How does the private key get stored exactly?  I assume that if I delete
the current entry for the "company" alias, I'll be losing the private key,
right?
3. Can someone provide steps I should take to get this working given what I
have said above.

Thanks so much in advance.  Sorry to be so long-winded.

-Dave
---