That's just not good advice at all.  I don't know where people get the
idea of touching CLASSPATH when they're talking about Tomcat and
web-apps in general.

Drivers should be placed in common/lib or WEB-INF/lib.  That's IT.

And mm.mysql.driver?

You  mean:

com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

And one last rant, as Chris Williams started to point out... ODBC is a
Microsoft data access abstraction layer.

ODBC = Microsoft Way of doing it
JDBC = Java way of doing it

So you'd only download or use the ODBC driver if you were accessing
MySql from a VB or C# program.