This is one I think I can answer... :-)

What you want to do is first escape the back slash, then escape the apostraphe...

so you want to have a string that looks like this: var name = '\\\'';

That should get what you are looking for. you may need to create a string parsing or regular expression routine to get what you are looking for.

Richard Norman
Web/Application Developer

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Koes, Derrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: escaping problems--ha! Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:59:24 -0400

My scenario involves a user who wishes to enter \' in an html input field.
I must then convert that to a javascript variable (for any number of
reasons).
However, when I attempt to escape backslashes then attempt to escape
apostrophes, I end up with a javascript error: Unterminated string constant.
I can see the source on my page has the javascript variable something like:
var name = '\\''.
What are the correct steps to correctly escape data such as \' or any number
of backslashes or apostrophes.

Thanks,
Derrick